The dream of a $800,000 dollar new personal jet died with the bankruptcy of Eclipse Aviation in 2008. Marketeers even changed the name of the category from “Very Light Jet” to “Personal Jet.”
A few patient buyers did get 85%-complete, flyable planes for around that price, and a total of 260 planes were shipped, but today a new personal jet starts at $3 million.
The world won’t see another $1 million jet until a cost-conscious manufacturer unafraid of product cannibalization steps forward. Robinson, are you listening?
|Mfg||Model||FAA Cert.||Engines||Avionics||KTAS/NM (IFR)/PAX||2011 Price|
|Cessna||Citation Mustang 510||2006||2 x PW615F-A||G1000||340/1,150/5||$3.2|
|Cessna||Citation M2 525||2013?||2 x FJ44-1AP-21||G3000||400/1,300/7||$4.195|
|Eclipse Sikorsky||550||2008||2 x PW610F||Avio||375/1,125/4||$2.695*|
|Embraer||Phenom 100||2008||2 x PW617-F||G1000||390/1,160/4-6||$3.9|
|Honda||HondaJet||2013?||2 x GE Honda HF120||G3000||425/1,180/6||$4.5*|
|Hawker Beechcraft||Premier 1A||2005||2 x FJ44-2A||Collins Proline 21||450/1,400/6-7||$6.5?|
|Sino Swearingen SyberJet||SJ30-2||2005||2 x FJ44-2A||Honeywell||486/2,500/6||$7.5|
- Eclipse 550 uses EA500 type certificate and will start assembly in Poland in 2013.
- Adam A700 never shipped before their bankruptcy.
- Diamond D-Jet has had funding problems, but is still in development in London, Canada.
- PiperJet Altaire is still in development or review. It will use 1xFJ44-3AP, G3000, goes 360/1,200 and target price is $2.8 million.
- Eclipse Aerospace is selling upgraded EA500 as TE500 for $2.195 million. 375/1,125/4.
- Nextant 400XT is a FAA-certified remanufactured Beech 400 using 2xFADEC-controlled Williams FJ44-3AP engines with Collins Proline 20A avionics for $4-$5 million and goes 460/2,005/4.
- Cirrus Vision SF50 is still in development and will use G1000 and 1xFJ33-4A-19 and will go 300/1,100/6.
JetAdvisor’s Private Jet Buyer’s Guide
Eclipse 500 Jet Comparison Chart (PDF)
Wikipedia: Eclipse 500, Embraer Phenom 100, Cessna Mustang, Adam 700, Diamond D-Jet, SJ30-2, Hawker Premier 1A, Cirrus Vision SF50
Rise in attendance, exhibitors at NBAA 2011
VLJ Comparison Chart
Third conforming HondaJet enters flight testing Nov. 18, 2011
Cessna Citation M2 Makes Maiden Flight
IRS Issues Final Rule on Entertainment Use of Aircraft
Honda Predicts HondaJet Profit By 2020